Replacing the Roof
The roof on this house is in need of quite a lot of repair.?One part of the roof has been replaced with a piece of this card, the other side is showing signs of age.
Both parts of the roof have been removed, showing the wooden supports for the roof. The small cardboard box you can see is to put the battery for the lights into.
There is a split in the roof that will need repairing. I will tidy up the damaged edges and nail holes with wood filler. Wood filler seems to work well as it can be easily sanded and adheres to the cardboard well.
To give the old section of the roof a bit more strength, I have put thin card on the back. This will also help when repairing the hole in the roof.
The whole structure of the roof is much better, the corners have now been repaired. I have lightly sanded and made the tile indentations more prominent, so the will show up when painted.
Template for the new replacement roof. I have marked out the tiles [see here how I do this].
Both parts of the roof have had there first coat of paint. I have used an emulsion paint and added acrylic paint in various colours until I get the one that resembles the colour that I need. This method seems to work quite well and the paint quality is not effected.
The above picture shows the Triang No.61, the roof has been sanded removing any loose paint. I use paper gummed parcel tape to join the parts of the roof. Rather than just wetting the tape with water, I use a watered down PVA glue. This helps the parcel tape stick better.
Once the tape was dry, it was ready for a final coat of paint and matt clear varnish.