It is now time to start the windows, I quite enjoy doing this although it is a bit fiddly and with 7 windows to do, it could take some time.
You can see from the picture above that the frames are quite rusty, and many of windows still have remnants of curtain material. The plastic windows have also become distorted and brittle.
That’s 7 frames and 18 inserts [there are also 4 single inserts for the bay windows]
The frames have been over painted and need the paint removing, it is a very messy job.
After I had removed the paint, I found that some of the window frames were originally white, although 3 of them were green. I have decided to paint mine green as it goes better with the house, which I have painted cream.
All the paint has now been removed from the inserts and are ready to be painted. Normally I use white spray paint, but this time I am going to brush paint them with which metal paint.
I was thinking of reproducing the original material for new curtains, then I had a better idea, and give the windows nice net curtains.
First I cut out new plastic for each insert, then selected some pretty cream lace and cut it to size.
Then I glued the lace to the plastic around the edges and a few dabs on the edges to keep it flat to the plastic.
Using my useful broken knife tool, I gently eased the plastic into the edges of the painted inserts.
All 18 inserts are now completed.
The completed window inserts have been put into the frames.
I am quite happy with how these look, and think they will look lovely in position in the house.