Triang No.77

on
NEW FRETWORK

This house being basically an empty shell, has no fretwork on the front around the windows and triangle roof panels. I was not sure how I was going to replace the fretwork on the two doors as it is quite intricate. Looking around at my other houses I noticed that the No.76 had the same fretwork pattern and the doors were the same size. I did not want to remove the fretwork from this house, as it was original and a little fragile. I could have taken the door off and scanned it, but this I felt would not provide a good result. Inspiration struck why not copy it in the same way as you do brass rubbing.

No.77FretWorkRubbing1

I put blu tac on each corner to keep the paper on the house, then got to work with my pencil. Hey presto the fret work was appearing nicely.

No.77FretWorkRubbing2

And I kept rubbing and rubbing….

No.77FretWorkRubbingComplete

This is my completed rubbing, I have gone around the outline with a pencil and used a ruler to get nice straight lines.

No.77PaperCutOutFretWork

I carefully cut around the outline with a sharp craft knife.

No.PaperFretWorkMatch

A perfect match…

No.77TracedFretWork

The paper outline was then traced onto a piece of card. I used a card reinforce envelope, it does not need to be very thick card.

No.77CompletedFretWork

The fretwork has now been cut out and fits nicely on the door, it is now ready to be painted.

FretworkBrown

I needed to make two of these, and also a smaller one with a simpler pattern.

No.77FretworkBrownSmall

FRONT DOOR PANELS

The door panels have been painted and varnished. I have painted the flower decal with acrylic paint. I do it this way so that if I make a mistake it is easy to remove, the flower decals are then varnished.

No.77PaintedFlowerFrontTwo

9 Comments Add yours

1. Karen says:

Hi I have sorted some photos but don’t know how to put them on. Sorry it has took a while to get back but Laptop has been playing up since Microsoft updated it still having problems now. Karen

1. Lee Higgins says:

You could email your pictures to me – shedonthepond@gmail.com.
      Lee

2. karen lyons says:

Well after a lot of hard work and very few tools and space the restoration of my Triang No.77 is nearly finished. I think it looks great, it was in a very poor state and is nice to see it looking great again and now to complement it, i have put some lights in. Just some last bits to do.

1. Lee Higgins says:

I would love to see a picture of your house, perhaps send me some pictures I could put on my site. [shedonthepond@gmail.com]

3. Karen says:

That is brilliant. Hope mine turns out as good.

4. Tina Ryan says:

Much ingenuity went into restoring the facade – looks like new. Seems like just the front door need sorting.

1. Lee Higgins says:

Yes the front door needs a letter box, door knob and knocker, not sure what colour it should be. I also need to find a single window to go next to the door.

1. karen lyons says:

Hi Lee same here mine needs Letter box and single window for next to door but all seem to be wrong size. Did they have door knockers ?.

1. Lee Higgins says:

From other houses I have restored, it seems to be the smaller window [white frame] are fitted next to the door. I think it did have a door knocker. Original door fittings are quite hard to find, and quite expensive.

Please spare a moment to comment