Triang No.62


Upon closer inspection, I discovered that the house has woodworm. I could see holes in the base, but just to be on the safe side I thought I had better check the roof as I could see little holes in the cardboard.  On removing the center roof panel I could see signs of woodworm.  This meant the whole of the roof had to be removed, a job I had not intended to do.




These pictures show the woodworm and how those nasty little grubs have tunneled there way into my dollshouse.  These little grubs like damp soft wood, [I think this house has been kept in a damp place, as many of the metal window frames are very rusty behind.] and stay in plywood longer than any other wood.  Once the house has been completely rubbed down I will treat it for woodworm, it is quite easy and just means painting the whole house with insecticide.



Etsy shop
Visit My Etsy Shop – A Miniature Slice of Time

10 Comments Add yours

  1. Fiona Fox says:

    The new curtains are a triumph. The front door knocker and letter box ‘came up nice’. You must be proud of this!

    1. Lee Higgins says:

      Thank you, this was the first time I have printed on material, very pleased with the result.

  2. Kris says:

    What a fantastic job! I’m trying to restore my own 62 so this is very helpful. Great videos too! Could you let me know what green paint you used for the window frames and the roof please? Want to march the original colours if possible but not sure what would work. I was also wondering whether the best type of paint would be an acrylic matt? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you 🙂

    1. Lee Higgins says:

      The paint I use for the window frames is used for painting Games Workshop models, the colour is Citadel Dark Angels Green [or if not available Caliban Green, as name has changed]. This paint is matt, but I also used a matt varnish which gives a nice finish. The roof is painted with a matt brick red paint, this is the hardest to get right. Get some tester pots, go with the colour you feel happy with. The next window frames I do, I think I will try Aerosol paint used for touching up cars. There are some nice greens for Jaguar and Range Rover cars, that would look good. Good Luck with your house…

      1. Kris says:

        Thanks so much for the information! Much appreciated:)

        1. Pat king says:

          This is my next project, I have just spent a year restoring a stockbroker, thank you for all the tips, I have found them invaluable. I also found the roof colour hardest to get just right, I ended up using brick red and adding black . I’m always learning.pat

          1. Lee Higgins says:

            I found the roof colour difficult to, at one time I could buy a Brick Red, which was a good match, but is no longer available. I am glad you have found my site helpful.

  3. dianne priestman says:

    Wonderful job! very impressive.

  4. lynn says:

    Wow very very nice, a wonderful job, I have a dolly mixture house awaiting a makeover after my gee bee house I am doing up for my grandaughter. My dolly mixture house roof has a split in the roof at the tape join, wondered the best way to reseal is, and then paint it red and black as it is now. Lynn

    1. Lee Higgins says:

      Thanks for your kind comments. I use gummed paper parcel tape, which I find is just the right width. You can see an example here: Triang No.61.

Please spare a moment to comment